Christopher Columbus hoped to find a sea route to the Far East, but discovered America instead, eventually completing four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Columbus was a man of exploration and discovery, and his efforts helped to launch the modern Western world.
1. What other countries celebrate Columbus Day besides the United States?
A. Spain and Italy
B. Belize and Uruguay
C. The Bahamas and Argentina
D. All of the above
2. Which state was the first to officially recognize Columbus Day as a holiday?
A. New York
D. New Jersey
3. Where did Christopher Columbus first land?
A. New England
D. None of the above
4. How many crew members did Christopher Columbus take on his voyage?
5. How old was Christopher Columbus when he began sailing?
6. How long did it take to spot land after setting sail in 1492?
A. 20 days
B. 60 days
C. 40 days
D. 35 days
7. Which ship did not make the return trip to Spain?
A. The Nina
B. The Pinta
C. The Santa Maria
D. They all made the return trip to Spain.
8. What states do not recognize Columbus Day?
A. New Jersey, South Dakota, Michigan
B. California, Florida, Alaska
C. Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon
D. South Dakota, Alaska, Hawaii
9. The traditional date for Columbus Day is October 12. When was it changed to the 2nd Monday of October?
10. Which president called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event?
A. James Garfield
B. Grover Cleveland
C. Benjamin Harrison
D. Chester Arthur