Sales, Menus & Recipes
Do you love the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but kind of want something a little bit different, just for once?
It's a bonus "On Sale This Week" article. We couldn't resist.
Grocery ads will change on Wednesday, so now is a good time to take advantage of those things on sale you want before the prices go up.
Ever have your kids say, "Oh, by the way, I need cupcakes for tomorrow's party." Or, "I volunteered to bring cookies to youth group tonight." Or, maybe you forgot your women's meeting that you're supposed to provide refreshments for. Or you find out someone will be dropping in for a visit in an hour. And you've got nothing to offer them.
That's why it's a great idea to stock up on cake mixes. You can do an awful lot with a box of cake mix, and nobody needs to know you didn't make it from scratch.
Using cake mixes is also a great way to get your kids cooking with minimal mess. They can learn to experiment, too.
All this is leading up to the big reminder that Fry's has Duncan Hines Cake Mix on sale this week (through tomorrow night) for $.99 box. At that price, you should have at least 10 in your pantry.
What to do with cake mix besides boring cake
Here's the abbreviated version of the recipe from Duncan Hines themselves:
1 box any flavor cake mix (they would appreciate you using their brand, of course, but any brand works.)
1/2 c. oil
Mix together, drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350º 10-12 minutes.
What to do to make them special? Additions!
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- White chocolate chips
- Mint chips
- Chopped up candy bars
- Nuts of any kind
- Chopped fruit such as dates, apples
- Grated fruit such as apples, carrots
- Raisins (yellow raisins pair nicely with white chocolate chips)
- Ground cloves (this is potent, add sparingly)
- Vanilla (yeah, I know it's liquid, but a tsp. won't hurt)
Save a little on calories? Substitute applesauce for the oil. Out of oil? Try shortening or butter.
When you're done - sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drizzle with a glaze made from melted chocolate chips.
Want to make brownies, but out of brownie mix? Use cake mix instead. Here's Food.com's recipe.
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. Butter, room temperature
1/3 c. Dark brown sugar
1/4 c. Water
2 large eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 c. Chopped nuts or chocolate chips
375º 25-30 minutes
Grease an 11x 7 or a 13 x 9 pan. Mix all ingredients except the nuts/chocolate chips. Stir in the chips. Spread into prepared pan. The batter is thick, be warned. Cool completely.
You can frost these, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or leave them plain.
Switch it up a little - add both nuts and chocolate chips, use more than one flavor of chips, frost them, and then drizzle melted chocolate over the frosting.
Brownies from a Cake Mix - Duncan Hines version
Hints from Heloise Cake Mix Brownies
Ok, so it's a cake mix, right? Fine, make a cake. But, make it special.
There are three basic ways to make a cake mix cake special
- Add new flavors
- Special frosting/glaze/topping
Follow the instructions on the box, but substitute some sort of liquor for the liquid. Sherry plus yellow cake mix is excellent.
- Mix in boxes of pudding
- Substitute applesauce for oil
- Add pumpkin (there will be a link to a recipe below)
- Add something besides vanilla, ie: almond extract
- Add spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom all come to mind
- All of the additions listed for the cookies will work fine.
- Chopped oreo cookies
- Fresh fruit
- Oatmeal (see recipes below)
- Sprinkled powdered sugar
- Glaze (add a little nutmeg or cinnamon to the glaze to make the flavor more interesting)
- "Upside Down" toppings - such as layering pineapple or apples in the bottom, sprinkling brown sugar over them, and then pouring the cake batter over the topping. (Some people like maraschino cherries in the middle of the slice of pineapple.)
- Melted caramel or chocolate
- Fresh fruit
- Mini candy bars or M&Ms (you'd probably need to frost the cake first)
Here is a whole page of even more amazing ideas: Yummly
Ok, by now, you're probably convinced that I'm making a commission on every Duncan Hines cake mix sold - don't I wish! I'm truly not making a dime on this. But, cake mixes are on sale... So go get some more!
Pork roasts and halloween candy. What could be better?
New way to proof bread dough, and a couple of nifty chicken recipes for today.