Father’s Day is Sunday June17. Why not celebrate with some inexpensive but tasty beef? This week we feature three different cuts of beef, which you can prepare in different ways. Two are for grilling, but maybe your beef fan would like a day free of cooking chores. Try some really tasty chili. As has been mentioned before, most butcher departments will happily slice or grind your purchase, just ask! The petite sirloin cut can be too tough for grilling without serious tenderizing. But ground, especially if the butcher can grind it coarsely, it makes dynamite chili.
***This Friday (June 15) is First Responder's Day at Albertson's. Police, Firefighters and EMTs will receive a 10% discount off their groceries.***
Comparing Prices this Week on Steaks
Albertsons: Petite Sirloin steaks, Buy 1 Get Two Free
Fry’s: Whole Rib Eye, in bag, slice for free or cook whole $4.77/lb
Safeway: New York Strip Steak, bone in, extreme value pack $4.99
Best Prices on Everyday Items
Milk: Safeway, Store Brand $1.57/gal
Bread: Albertsons, Earthgrain $2.49; Safeway, Nature’s Pride BOGO* ; Fry’s, Orowheat, select varieties $2.79
Eggs: Albertsons, Store Brand $1.49/dz
Best Bargains this Week
Special Sale Buy 8 items from group, save $4 Items Include:
- Eggs $.99/dz
- Soft Choice Bath Tissue, 12 double rolls $3.99
- Quaker and Kellog’s cereal, select varieties $1.99
Meat and Seafood
- Sanderson Farms Chicken, select varieties, jumbo pack $1.29/lb
- Pork loin back ribs, buy 1, get 2 free
- Lobster tail, 3 oz. minimum; frozen
- Tilapia, buy 1, get 2 free
- Nathan's Beef Franks, BOGO
- California red cherries, $1.47/lb
- Nectarines or peaches $1.99 lb.
- Sweet corn, 2/$1
Breyer’s frozen novelty items, select varieties $2.99
Special Sales: Save $4 instantly on Proctor and Gamble products if you buy 4 participating items. Items include: Bounty paper towels, Swiffer Wet Jet refills, Cascade Dishwasher detergent
Meat and Seafood
- Foster Farms split chicken breasts $1.69/lb
- Bar S products, 33% off
- Ribeye Steaks, boneless $5.97; whole, boneless $4.77
- Lobster tails, min. 5 oz.; previously frozen $7.99
- California red cherries $1.47/lb
- Roma tomatoes on the vine, Arizona Grown $.99/lb
- Red, yellow bell peppers $.88 ea.
- Mangoes 3/$1
- Kroger Yogurt 3/$1
- Select varieties of Kroger Cheese, including bars, shreds and slices $1.79
- Fry’s water $2.50/case
$5 Friday: Cottonelle bath tissue, 12 rolls; Hormel port tenderloins, select varieties
4 Day Sale Friday—Monday
- General Mills cereals, select varieties $2.50
- Thomas’ English muffins, select varieties BOGO*
Meat and Seafood
- Assorted loin pork chops $1.88/lb
- Beef back ribs, $1.29 lb
- Country style pork ribs, $1.69 lb.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts $1.99 lb.
- Chicken leg quarters $.75 lb.
- Bell peppers all colors, .99/lb
- Peaches $.77 lb.
- Avocados $.77 ea.
- Strawberries, l lb. pkg, 2/$5
- Kraft Cheese slices, $2.69 for 7-8 oz. package
- Lucerne bar cheese, 7-8 oz. $1.99
- Doritos or Lay’s potato chips, Buy 2 Get 2 Free
- Pepperage Farm Milano Cookies BOGO*
- Pillsbury Grand Biscuits $.99
*BOGO Buy one get one of equal or lesser value free
Videos from Around the Web
Sometimes you might not get the tenderest cut of meat. Here's a video with instructions for tenderizing and marinading.
How to Know When It's Done
A great technique for knowing when your steak is done. Never seen this before... Warning, this video will make you hungry!
Scotch Fillet with Onion Jam
Here's a lovely presentation of steak and potatoes with an onion jam. "Onion jam??? what's that," you ask. Ah, watch the video and see.
Here's an All-Beef Chili Recipe
If you don't have any homemade BBQ sauce, how about getting some of Jubes? They're a local company, and their sauce is terrific.